East Northport Middle School
Notes From The Nurse
Our lives have all been altered and we are hard at work keeping ourselves and our families safe, healthy and HAPPY!! We are all attempting to make a very difficult and challenging situation work with all the uncertainty around us. We still need to prepare for the upcoming school year. Although the return to school details for September haven’t been finalized, we need to continue with our usual plans so we are ready for the start of the school year.
Fall Sports- (With the hopeful thoughts that we will be able to resume our Middle School Sports…)
Information for 2020 Fall Sports Sign Ups (incoming 7th and 8th grade / incoming 9th grade) will be found on the ENMS website once it becomes clarified. Registration will be online through Family ID. Follow the link for Intent to Participate registration. Final registration will be prior to the start of the season and will require another login for completion. You will receive email confirmation of registration and again for final approval for the sport.
Immunizations- We are waiting for a final decision from the NYS Department of Health regarding immunization requirements for the 2020-21 school year. We will forward the information to you as soon as it is available. You can also check with your child's health care provider for updated information.
MEDICATION----New York State Law requires that:
- New medication forms for both prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) medications must be signed by the provider and parent annually. Orders are good for the entire school year.
- Medication must remain in the properly labeled pharmacy or original OTC container.
- Parents or guardians must personally deliver and pick up all medication at the school health office (unless a self-carry order form is signed by parent and physician).
- If your child’s provider has determined that your child may self-carry and self-administer their medication, please have your healthcare provider complete the appropriate medication form which requires provider consent. Parent signature is also required. *** Self-carry options for Middle School are Benadryl and Epipen only. ***
- It would be appreciated if all medication and forms be brought in the day before school starts, especially for daily meds.
We request that you ask your pharmacist to give you a second identically labeled container for any prescription medications your student will take at school to allow me to send these medications on field trips and comply with New York State laws pertaining to medication storage. Medication forms are available on the district web site or may be obtained from the school health office. Your physician may use their own form if desired
New York State regulations require all medication left at school at the end of the school year be discarded. This includes inhalers and Epi-pens. Unless your child has current permission to self-carry their medication, the school is not able to allow your child to bring the medication home themselves. Medications and inhalers cannot be stored, saved, or re-used for the next school year.
Thank you in advance for your cooperation,
Rita Enright R.N.
Phone- 631-262-6775 Fax -631-262-6898